Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Favorite Things

I admit it, I’m drawn to “favorites” lists. You know, where you’re supposed to name you’re favorite book, film, etc. But when it comes to pinning down my own favorites I am often at a loss.

I finally figured out the reason! There’s simply too much water under the bridge (and possibly I’m just not very clever). I mean, I’ve read thousands of books and seen hundreds of films at this point. And, of course, I no longer see personal taste as any kind of indicator of substance. No, the problem is definitely with the questions asked.

So I’ve devised my own “favorites” list, which I think highlights the nuance and texture of life – my own in this case – rather than just the ideas/objects that strike one’s fancy. So here’s some possible alternative:

Favorite …
… type of agua fresca? Watermelon
… time of day? Summer = twilight / Winter = morning / also when G. gets home! And when B. gets up in the morning and comes in for a cuddle
… game to play? Nuts! (A new card game we just learned!)
… way to kill time? Read magazines (especially new one's that come free in the mail!)
… impossibly huge social cause? Sustainability
… signs of communal life? community gardens / libraries

Now you answer!
Next time, my list of favorite lists!

Comments:
favorite place to take a nap: my graduate school library

favorite square in the state of MA: Davis Square

favorite letter of the alphabet: C

favorite dessert: strawberry shortcake at the Lobster Poole in Rocport, MA
 
yes! that's it. i love that.
 
Favorite ...

PBS mystery series sleuth: Inspector Morse

Cooling summertime beverage: limeade

Climbing flowering vine: morning glory

Urban landmark: Buckingham Fountain in Chicago
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]