Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Geia Sas!

Some of you are aware that B and I have been going to “Greek school” for the past year. Class meets once a week in the basement of St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church (there are two Greek churches in the Cities).

We learn our alpha, beta (vee-ta not bay-da), gammas, the kids learn Greek dancing (B even participated in the the Festival of Nations as, possibly, the only red-haired, freckled Greek ever) and we celebrate holidays you’ve never heard of like Oxi Day, which translates as “No” Day. It’s to mark the beginning of Greece’s participation in World War II, or more specifically, when the Greek Prime Minister Ioannis Metaxas said “no” to the Germans.

What have I learned about Greek culture? Many things, some quite random. I’ve learned that the island of Patmos, described as the "Jerusalem of the Aegean,” is believed to be where St. John was inspired to write the Book of Revelations. I’ve learned that Easter is a far bigger deal than Christmas festivities-wise (and that eggs are dyed red). I’ve learned that halia (accent on the first alpha) is what you say when something is low-class or just distasteful in some way like a really trashy outfit. I’ve learned to make Greek coffee and B has become an avid backgammon player thanks to the tutelage of the master (Yorgos).

Of course, we have yet to visit Greece, but as my teacher Anna (a truly amazing polyglot and proprietor of an outstanding Greek restaurant) says, being Greek is a state of mind. Opa!

Comments:
Do the Twin Cities have a Greek Town? I miss the one in Chicago sorely sometimes. I have yet to find a good Greek restaurant here in Boston ... though granted I have not been trying too hard.

In your first post I missed that one of the chain-mail boys was our own B.X. Splendid! That is some inspired connection-making on his part.
 
No Greek town I'm afraid. But little outposts of Greek culture. There's this place called Bill's imported foods that's run by this very stern woman who squints her eyes at her employees. There are several good Greek restaurants and two churches. That's about all. I am comforted by my proximity to Chicago's Greek Town though we rarely make the trip ...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]