Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Work / Life

I often wonder what secret ambitions people harbor. I, myself, am relatively low in the ambition department, but even so I’ve entertained many highly unlikely career paths along the road to my current occupation.

Here’s an annotated and by no means exhaustive list …

Grocery bagger (fits the low ambition criteria nicely)
Gas station attendant (no explanation necessary)
Philosopher (again, no explanation necessary)
An essayist (also known as my Emerson Period ... still kinda wanna be this one)
Museum curator (mainly involves wearing cordouroy and sweaters)
Photojournalist (my people phobia made this one particularly challenging)
Doctor (you don’t have to laugh THAT loud)

Actual unlikely jobs I’ve had … all temp, of course:

Law office file room clerk (still, they didn’t have to fire me!)
Spanish translator (Google’s language tool only gets one so far)
“Wife” to an undercover investigator guy (I just had to pretend I was with a guy checking out a real estate scheme … weird)

So what’re your unrealized and/or unwittingly realized career ambitions?

Comments:
I thought I would make a good plumber. The idea of clearing out the clogged pipes seemed very satisfying.
 
dermatologist--my sister and I enjoyed giving autumnal squash and pumpkins "skin diseases" and then shaving the scabs off with sharp kitchen knives. Eww.
 
I was a grocery store bag boy. I have to say it was very satisfying. Like a big old Tetris puzzle -- getting the square stuff on the sides, figuring out how to manage the fruit, estimating size, weight, bag strength, etc.

I've always wanted to be a bus driver. Chance to welcome people aboard and announce the streets and get out and see the world. I still daydream about doing it on Saturday mornings as a temporary job. My family would love that.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]